If you're struggling with your weight, you may wonder what to do next. No doubt you've read stories about celebrities who have undergone weight loss surgery. You may even know some people who have had this surgery as well. So is it right for you?
Here are some questions to ask yourself as you consider the benefits of bariatric surgery:
- Have you tried to lose weight in the past, but have repeatedly failed?
- Are you more than 100 pounds overweight or do you have a BMI of 40 or higher? Or if your BMI is 35 or higher, do you have serious health issues, such as diabetes, sleep apnea and heart disease?
- Are you free from addition to alcohol or drugs?
- Are you not suffering from a disease that is causing your excess weight?
- Do you understand that surgery is not a quick fix–but just part of a long-term commitment to a healthy lifestyle?
- Are you prepared to adopt a healthy diet and exercise plan?
- Are you ready to ask for support from your family and friends?
- Do you understand what weight loss surgery procedures there are and what they entail?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, you may be a good candidate for weight loss surgery. The next step is to talk to a doctor about the procedures and discuss which one is right for you.
At the Bariatric and Wellness Institute at JFK Medical Center, our team can answer any questions you may have. In addition, we offer free weight loss information seminars, where you can meet the surgeons and talk about your concerns in person. For more information, call us at 561-965-7300.